Friday, July 22, 2011

Why I look for graphics in film

I am very fond of 3D computer graphics because I used 3D CAD and animation software in school and own five different copies of 3D graphics programs.  Here is the list of the programs I have at home:
Solidworks Student Version: A Computer-Aided Design (CAD) Program that I learned how to use in school.
Blender: An open-source 3D animation and sculpting program which is becoming more like Maya.
Messiah Studio: Used in a Harry Potter film and is difficult to find modeling tutorials of.  Dad bought it for $40 from Messiah studio as part of a promotion (They must be getting desperate).  It has a built-in stereoscopic rendering feature but everything it can do Blender can do.
Sculptris: A free Sculpting program and is the sister product of ZBrush, used to make the Na'vi in Avatar.

At school we use 3DS Max from Autodesk to make video games and animated videos and we use Solidworks.

Because I know so much about 3D graphics and CGI in modern films, I devote much attention to it.  When I find some CGI in a film it could either ruin the authenticity of the scene, just look cool, or advance the story.  In new films and TV, CGI is so commonplace that no one bothers to spend a cent on storytelling, which I also look for.

No comments:

Post a Comment